Thursday, August 12, 2010

Make Your Own Deoderant

As promised, here is the story about my experience making my own deoderant.  Why would I want to make my own deoderant?  While my mom accused me of wanting to be like the Duggars, who make their own laundry detergent as a cost saving measure, this was not my motive.  It says that the aluminum found in some deoderants is bad for you, and I thought it might be fun to make my own.  However it really wasn't as much fun as it sounds.... haha.

The ingredients:

I got everything from Whole Foods, except for the baking soda, which obviously came from Kroger.

You need:
1/4 cup Arrowroot powder
1/4 cup baking soda
5-6 pinches (whatever that means.... ) of ground up sea salt
4 tablespoons of coconut oil
10 drops of essential oil ( I chose rosemary but I don't think I like it...)

Mix the dry ingredients first and then mix in the coconut and essential oil. 

Here's what it looked like while being mixed:


And in the container:


Mine was very runny, (almost like icing for cinnamon rolls or something) but it also says that you can refridgerate it for a more solid feel. I tried that and it was too hard so I decided to use it room temperature. I tried it out this morning and I don't think that I like it. Maybe I will try another batch, but I don't really like putting on deoderant with my fingers. :)


So if I don't make any more deoderant, do you have any idea what I can use arrowroot powder or coconut oil for?  I have a lot of both and don't know what to do with it.

This is what the arrowroot bag says, in case that will give you any ideas!!
Should you decide that you want to try to make your own deoderant, I might even give you some of my arrowroot powder and coconut oil!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog. I look forward to following yours as well!! I see you made your own deodorant. I am also a bit into natural products and try to steer clear of chemicals that are in so many products today. Sorry it didn't turn out as well as you'd hoped. I don't think I'd like putting my deodorant on with my fingers either. :) I look forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks for following my blog as well! I tried to leave a comment on yours but I don't think it worked. For some reason it wouldn't let me (or if it did you might have gotten 50 of the same comment...). I came across your blog from Kelly's Korner. I'll be praying for you through this next week!

    ReplyDelete