Thursday, August 26, 2010

The story of how I got every dish in the kitchen dirty.

Last night I decided to cook two things after work.  Normally I only cook 1 thing because I know I won't eat all of it by myself, but I know it is not healthy that way.  So last night I actually had time to cook, so I made mushroom bolognese and buttered sugar snaps & green peas.  It was not my favorite meal ever, but it wasn't bad.  I brought it for lunch today, so I'll let you know if I change my mind.  :)

Here's the recipe for the mushroom bolognese:

1lb rigatoni (or other pasta- I had a box of penne so that is what I used)
10 baby carrots
1 medium onion, quartered
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
5 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 1/4 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup white wine (I substituted chicken broth because they don't sell just 1/2 cup of wine, and I wouldn't drink the rest)
1 medium yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and sliced
26oz marinara sauce

1.  Cook the pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water as directed.
2. Meanwhile put carrots and onion in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
3.  Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add carrots, onion and mushrooms; cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, 4 minutes or until almost tender.
This is what it looked like at this stage.  And let me tell you, it smelled wonderful!!
4. Add turkey and cook, breaking up clumps, 3 minutes or until no longer pink.  Stir in wine and squash; boil 1 minute.

Before squash.

After squash.  Notice that I now have a different pan.  Apparently my "large" skillet was not large enough....
5. Stir in marinara sauce; bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes or until squash is tender.  Pour over drained pasta; toss to mix.

 
           With sauce.
 
With pasta.


This recipe even gave nutrition info per serving: 550 cal, 29g protein, 5 g fiber, 14 g fat.  It also says that it is about $1.60 per serving.  Not sure if I agree with that after going to the grocery store to get all of this stuff, but whatever.  :)


Now for the Buttered Sugar Snaps and Green Peas
1lb sugar snap peas
10oz frozen green peas
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

1.  Bring a large skillet half full of lightly salted water to a boil.  Add snap peas and green peas.  Return to boil; boil 1 minute or until snap peasa are crisp-tender.  Drain; rinse with cold water and drain well.
2.  Melt butter in same skillet.  Add snap peas, green peas, salt and pepper.  Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until hot.  Remove to serving bowl.

The final product.


Yay for dinner!

And this is what my kitchen looked like after all of this:

All of this was from cooking just these two things.  I think next time I need to plan a little better....

No comments:

Post a Comment