Wednesday, July 18, 2012

June, Part 1



June was a crazy, fun-filled month.  I should have blogged about it right when things happened, because now it is so overwhelming to even think about typing everything that happened!

A few months ago, a couple of my sorority sisters and I tried to plan a little reunion since we had not seen each other in a while.  Nobody really wanted to make the decision of where to go, except that I really wanted to go to the Mall of America.  One of the girls lives about 4 hours from Minneapolis, so we decided that was what we would do.  Everyone was not able to make it though due to scheduling conflicts, so it was myself and two other girls.

I split the trip up as much as possible because I don't really like being in the car for long periods of time.  The night before I left, I decided to make a recipe found on Pinterest (of course)- Trix Krispies.  You know, like Rice Krispies, but with Trix cereal instead.  I had some colored marshmallows that thought would make a pretty treat.  The recipe said to microwave the butter and marshmallows and then add the cereal.  Well.... I forgot that marshmallows get HUGE when you microwave them.... and I had a WHOLE bowl full of them in the microwave.  I put it in the microwave and walked off to start a load of laundry, and when I came back my microwave was completely full of marshmallows!!  It was a pretty mess, but a sticky one!!  It took me forever to clean the microwave and kitchen after that disaster!  I was still able to make the Trix Krispies, but it was definitely not good enough to go through all that trouble!  I will probably not make them anymore, but stick with regular Rice Krispies next time.

I also signed up to run in the Color Run in Memphis in October with my friend Shannon.  I am super excited.  This will be my first 5K to actually run in- and let me scratch another thing off my 30 before 30 list.  Speaking of which.... I need to do an update on that list just to remind myself what I still have to do!

The first day of my trip, I drove 3 hours after work and spent the night with my friend Lyndsey and her family.  We got to go for a long walk around the neighborhood and it was good to catch up.  :)
The next day, when I woke up I was really not looking forward to the longest leg of my journeyand wishing I would have gotten a plane ticket!  Looking back, the driving part was a little fun and saved a lot of money, so it probably was for the best, but it sure took a long time!

I picked up one girl that morning, and we drove through Iowa.  This was my first time to visit Iowa.


I got to go to the Iowa Speedway, which was my first time to be at a race track (for cars anyway).  I took a picture with this sign, although I have no idea who this dude is.

The next day, we woke up and started the last leg of our trip.  We finally made it to Minnesota.  First activity- bathroom break at the Welcome Center!!

Our first real stop was in Austin, MN.  The trusty GPS led us to this fine eating establishment for lunch.  It was delish.


We had to make a stop at the SPAM Museum!  One of my coworkers told me about the SPAM Museum, and I just knew we had to stop there.  I mean, I don't actually eat SPAM, but how many people can say that they have been to the SPAM Museum??!?


The SPAM Museum was very fun and we stayed there much longer than we expected! There was a movie about SPAM and the door to the theater looked like a pig!  So cute!


We got to dress up like factory workers and even have a race to see who can package SPAM the fastest.  I believe that Catherine is destined to work in a SPAM packaging facility as she beat the pants off of me and Andrea. 


After the SPAM Museum, we went to IKEA where I made my first non-food purchases of the trip.  I got a popsicle mold, a large glass bowl, a cereal container, and a salad spinner.  All good purchases if I do say so myself!  We ate dinner at IKEA also.  Then we headed over to the Mall of America (yay!) for just a short time since it was getting pretty late.  Here are me and my peeps at the Peeps store!  :)


This post is getting pretty long, so I think this is a good stopping point.  Hopefully I will be back soon to finish posting about the month of June!

1 comment:

  1. I can give you some Color Run tips if you want. I definitely learned some things from doing it in Atlanta. (Just FB message me now or closer to the race.)

    ReplyDelete