Monday, October 18, 2010

Jam Packed weekend

Friday night on the way home from work, my mom called to see if I wanted to go to the fair.  I saw the monkey show, the alligator show, and some bad band that nobody knew the songs.  The monkey show was actually really cute and funny, and the alligator show was not.  We didn't stay really long because we knew that we had to get up early and go to the Race for the Cure.

On Saturday morning, I got up at 5:00, which is an hour that I haven't seen in a while.  :)  My mom and I went to the survivor breakfast.  We made it there, even though we couldn't find the survivor parking lot and I drove the WRONG WAY down a one way street.... The breakfast was nice and then we went to look around.  My mom missed the survivor picture because the line for the bathroom was so freaking long.  The walk was a success though.  Almost 46,000 people participated, making us move up to the #3 largest race in the country.  Woo-hoo!  There were people everywhere.  Here we are before the race started.
There were so many people that you seriously couldn't walk.  It took us forever to get started, and I am pretty sure that the runners finished before we even started walking.  There were several places where the sidewalk entertainment caused a traffic jam because people wanted to stop and watch, which slowed us up even more.  This is how long it took us:
Um yes, almost 2 hours.  It was only a 5K in case you were wondering. :)  Hopefully next year I can get closer to the front of the line and not be caught up so much in all the congestion.  At least we finished, though.  It took us so long that my mom actually missed the survivor parade.  We did at least find the survivor luncheon.  It was a long day all in all.  After the race, we hit up 2 estate sales, but didn't find anything.  I am still on the hunt for an entryway table or dresser that I can use for an entryway table.  Then I picked up my sister, and we settled in to watch the Razorbacks take on Auburn.  Let's just say that the officiating crew was less than stellar, and maybe we would have lost anyway, but man that was frustrating.  Our backup quarterback ended up playing for more than half of the game because Ryan Mallett got a concussion in the 2nd quarter.  I was actually pretty impressed with Tyler Wilson even though he did throw a couple of interceptions.  Since he has had virtually no playing time, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  I'm glad he got the chance to show us what he can do, since Ryan has been getting all the attention, and he sure does get on my nerves!  After the game, we were going to go to Purple Cow for dinner because I have a free milkshake for my birthday, but we were too tired so we decided to eat at home.  Popcorn and brownies are a good dinner, right?  Sister of the year award, right here!

Sunday we went to church, and then to Tropical Smoothie (one of my favs!) for lunch.  Sundays are kids eat free days, at least in our area.  Woot!  I especially hate to take her to new places when I am not sure if she will like it, so I am glad at least it was free.  She is still too chicken to try a smoothie though.  I just don't get it.  :)

Then we went to Lily's 2nd birthday party.  It was good fun, and my sister jumped in the bounce house for probably a solid hour until cake time, and then played in the sand box.  All the adults where hiding in the shade.  Why is it still hot out?  I even ran the air conditioner yesterday.  Arkansas weather is just crazy.  Then Sunday night I had Bible study.  It was kind of a scary one.  We are going through Revelation with Beth Moore, and so far it is a good one.

Today is handbell practice.  It is our last practice before we perform in 2 services at church on Sunday.  I hope it goes well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment