Sunday, May 15, 2011

Alien Invasion

My sister turned 7.  She wanted alien cupcakes for her party.  It took a whole freaking day.  Although now that I know how to do it, I'm thinking I could crank them out in half a day.  :)  Here's the process:

First, bake 24 cupcakes of your desired flavor.  These are chocolate.


Then after they cool, put a thin layer of icing on them, and then half of a giant marshmallow.


Then add some more icing and a donut hole.  (I never claimed these were healthy.  I say go big or go home.  And lets not talk about the extra donuts that I ate this day.)


Then put icing around the sides.  However, I later figured out that this is pretty pointless and it works fine if you skip this step.  It will save a lot of time, frustration, and icing. (Please ignore the Krispy Kreme box.  I know that donut holes do not come in that kind of box.)


Then I skipped a bunch of steps in my picture taking.  Freeze these weird looking things for 15 minutes.  Heat up some icing in the microwave for about 15 seconds and then dip the frozen cupcakes in the heated icing to get a nice, shiny, smooth surface of icing.  Then add two chocolate covered sunflower seeds as the eyes and two licorice pieces (we had some black licorice and some red twizzlers because we think black licorice is nasty) as antennae.  Then make a space ship for the alien invaders.  It would be ideal to use take out containers, but when the only place in town to get them is Sam's Club, and you don't really have any use for 350 containers, 9 ounce punch cups will do.   Just be sure to use a small piece of tape on the back side so that the lid does not blow off in the 100 mile per hour winds.  I did as a precaution-  it was a good idea.  Trust me.  The wind was so strong that it was blowing the presents off the table.  At least it was not hot.  Anyway- back on track.  Here's the finished product.  And this one kind of reminds me of Harry Potter since the flash reflected off of his space ship and made a lightning bolt shape on his forehead. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment