Monday, September 13, 2010

No sleep weekend

Man, this weekend was super busy!  Friday night I went to the card ministry meeting at my church.  We started working on our Christmas cards.  All I did was cut approximately 1 million green strips of paper at 5.25 inches.  OK maybe not a million, but a whole lot!!  I did that for an hour and a half, so no telling how many I actually did....  Afterwards we went to Alley Oops for dinner.  It was very good!  Then when I got home I had to cook all of my tailgating food for Saturday's game.  I made Tamari Cashews and Devil's food Oreo cupcakes.  (p.s. this was not a picture taking weekend... I think I took 5 pictures the whole weekend.)  Both of these were super simple, so I can tell you the recipe even though I didn't bring them with me to work.  :)

For the cashews, you put a tablespoon of oil in a baking dish, then put in 1 pound of cashews.  Stir them until all the cashews get coated with the oil, then bake at 350 for 15 minutes, then put in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.  Stir again until all cashews are coated, and then bake for 5 more minutes. 

The cupcakes are easy too.  All you need to do is prepare a devil's food cake mix according to package directions and crush up a box of Oreos and add to the mix.  Then bake according to directions on box.  I only did 2/3 of the Oreos because I wanted to eat some (ha! imagine that!), but I think they would have been better if I would have added all of them. I thought that these would be good to take tailgating since they didn't have icing and wouldn't melt too much.

Saturday morning I took the food over to Karen's house since they were going to tailgate early and I couldn't go with them.  Then I went to a wedding shower.  It should have taken me about half an hour to get there, but it actually took me almost an hour because I got lost.  Luckily my brother called me and he was by a computer ( I don't have internet on my phone... I know I am stuck in the dark ages), so he was able to help me get there after driving up and down the same road about 4 times.  It was interesting, that's for sure.  At the wedding shower, I only knew 3 people:  the bride, her mother, and the maid of honor.  It was a nice shower and I ended up only being able to stay about 45 minutes since I was late.  Here we are at the shower:
Then I went over to tailgate at the golf course next to the football stadium.  That was quite entertaining too, because the people in the row across from us were doing keg stands on top of a hummer.  It was all fun and games until some people fell off and they broke the keg and then some boy and girl broke up.... Free entertainment at its finest. 

The girls out tailgating:

Me and my brother:

I was there from about 11:30 until I left for the game about 4:30.   I wanted to make sure that I was there in time to see the band do their pregame show and have time to go to the bathroom before that in the stadium because I was NOT going to use a Port-a-Potty or pee in the grass.  :)  Of course, in my typical fashion, I was waaaayyy to early and sat bored in my seat for a while.

Here's my favorite part of the pregame show: The Big A!

The Razorbacks beat ULM 31-7.  It was a little scary there in the first half when we were only up by 7, but I guess Coach Petrino talked some sense into them at halftime.  I was a little surprised that the band did not do a patriotic halftime show since it was September 11, but I did enjoy the show.  I was a little sick at the game (probably from being so hot and eating only crap that day) and the girl next to me kept elbowing me in the stomach.  I actually had to miss the Go Hogs spellout because I had to go to the bathroom since I felt like I was either going to pass out or throw up.  Luckily there was not a line.  :)

Sunday morning I got up with the chickens at 5:45 am (ok so I don't really know what time chickens get up.)  I had to play handbells in church and we had to be there at 7:15.  I had to leave a little early since I had to run by Starbucks (yum- Pumpkin Spice!) and then get there in time to put out some fliers at church before we practiced.

After church I had to run home and start cooking again!  The Women's Bible study at my church started up yesterday and I had to bring snacks.  Luckily Ashley (who needs to update her blog) helped me do the snacks!  I "made" tacquitos, which was the easiest thing since they are frozen and all you have to do is throw them in a pan and stick it in the oven.  However, the package lies when it says they will be done in 15 minutes.  Just so you know.

I also made snowballs, which are some cookies covered in powdered sugar and that have a hershey's kiss in the middle.  Those were a pain haha.  And then I made spinach dip, which was super yummy.  I happen to have the recipe because my grandmother loved it so much that she had me email her the recipe:

Spinach Dip:
10 ounce package frozen spinach, thawed

2 cups sour cream

1 cup mayonnaise

1 envelope vegetable soup mix

1 small white onion, chopped

8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Squeeze out water from thawed spinach and do NOT cook. Add all other ingredients and mix.

I also had leftovers from the tailgate party so I brought that stuff too.  My stupid air conditioner overflowed the drip pan, and so I had to do some laundry from the towels that I used to clean up the mess.  I can't seem to get the water to drip into a trash can.... instead it seems to like to go anywhere else.  Apparently this is common after the fan motor goes out, and I saw on the internet that it said to pour a cup of bleach down the pipe. So I tried that and I'll let you know if it worked!  I sure hope so because I am sick of calling the air conditioner people to my house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment